Cognitive Disorders are a group of disorders that affect a person’s ability to process information normally. Symptoms typically involve changes in memory, reasoning, perception, judgement and problem solving. Confusion, forgetfulness and emotional changes are often the earliest signs.
What are some common causes of Cognitive Dysfunction?
- Acute injuries (including stroke, concussion or infection)
- Neurological disorders (including Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease, Alzheimer’s Disease) and Brain tumors
- Degenerative changes – as part of a normal ageing process
- Congenital causes (from fetal development)
Aspire’s experienced therapists can help patient’s manage and even improve their cognitive abilities. Working with the individual the therapist undertakes a detailed cognitive-linguistic evaluation and tailors a rehabilitation plan that will help the patient in their daily living activities.
By working on skills such as finding words, vocabulary, understanding context and improving memory the brain is stimulated and processing speed advances. These improvements have been shown to last as long as 2-4 months after training (1, 2). This can have a huge impact on a person’s overall well-being.
We can incorporate computer software programs such as Cognifit®, Bungalow®, Parrot® and/orLumosity®, which give instant feedback alongside motivational and interactive cues that optimize patient training.
Call us now on (212) 453-0036, or click here to request a new patient form.
1. Smith GE, et al. A cognitive training program based on principles of brain plasticity: results from the Improvement in Memory with Plasticity-based Adaptive Cognitive Training (IMPACT) study. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2009 Apr; 57(4): 594-603.
2. Willis SL, et al. Long-term Effects of Cognitive Training on Everyday Functional Outcomes in Older Adults. JAMA. 2006 Dec; 296 (23): 2805-2814.